The Hanes Baptist Church had a humble beginning in 1910, in a grove of trees behind the Hanes Company Office on Stratford Road. The meeting place moved to one of the residences in the village. The Hanes Company owned a wood frame schoolhouse, but later built a brick one, and gave the wooden structure to be renovated and used as a Church.
Unfortunately, in the late 1940's, during a weekly radio broadcast, the Church building burned. The cause of the fire was never determined and no one was injured. The Hanes Company, once again, accommodated the membership and allowed them to meet in the newer schoolhouse. Two years later, the Company built the brick Church located in Hanes on Harvey Street, and gave it to the membership. Later, an educational wing was added, and also a Fellowship Hall.
The residences that made up the Hanes cotton mill village were sold for businesses, and very few of the members lived in the community. Convenient parking became scarce. The Church decided to relocate, and purchased a 13-acre tract of land on Sabrina Lake Road.
In 2002, the Church on Harvey Street was placed on the Real Estate market and later sold. Another Church building was rented until the current Family Life Center was completed in early 2007. Since moving into the new Center, we have experienced much growth – many new members and many visitors. Outreaches have been expanded, and new growth is enjoyed in every area. In October of 2010, our new sanctuary was completed.
The Hanes Baptist Church had a humble beginning, but we have a brilliant future – all because of God's "Amazing Grace". Visit with us and live our next history making endeavor... expanding our parking as well as adding a balcony.